Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hitachi StarBoards Add Up For Kamiakin High School

- Washington High School Is Utilizing Hitachi StarBoards To Enhance Mathematics Education --

Math class has never been as exciting since Kamiakin High School in Kennewick, Washington upgraded classroom technology with Hitachi Software StarBoard interactive whiteboards. Purchased through Troxell Communications, the school utilizes the Hitachi FXDUO-77 model StarBoard.

Jenny Byrd, a mathematics teacher at Kamiakin, is utilizing the StarBoard in all of her classes. “Typically I have notes including pictures, definitions, examples and practice problems that I display onto my board. The Hitachi interactive whiteboard improves what I have previously done in many ways. I love that when I move on to the next page, the board has saved my work on the prior page. This allows me to switch back and forth to the example problem if the students are struggling on a practice problem,” stated Ms. Byrd.

According to Byrd she has also found ways to use the interactive whiteboard with other technologies. “I use the board in conjunction with my calculator software to display graphs. It allows the students to actually see me touching the buttons and their location on the board.”

Additionally, the interactive whiteboards have become an asset in the rare circumstance that the teacher is absent. “When I have a substitute, I record my voice and interactions into the board for the sub to play. The students no longer fall behind if the sub is not familiar with the type of mathematics the students are learning. It also allows for a more productive class with the students because the sub doesn’t have to try as hard to keep them engaged in a worksheet. The students now have a video to watch and notes to take and I can still give students practice problems to solve,” stated Ms. Byrd.

According to Ms. Byrd she looks forward to finding new and exciting ways to integrate the StarBoard into lessons. “There are many applications I look forward to adding to my classroom as time goes by. For example, I would like to add more interactive lessons, where students come up to the board and physically translate, rotate, dilate a shape or learn about fraction addition. There are also many math applications we could perform on the board to strengthen student understanding.”

No comments: